Here is an “oldie but a goody” recipe for some “Zesty Lemon Chicken“! It’s a simple dish that doesn’t require a whole lot of detail but it sure is tasty.
The secret behind the dish is the sauce which includes lemon, olive oil, oregano, onion and garlic.
This combo is so tangy and flavorful that you will find yourself licking up the juices from the pan and scraping up the crispy crunchy onion bits.
For this dish I prefer skinless chicken thighs without the bone. I know I know there is so much flavor in the skin from the fat but I want to make this calorie friendly so the skin it is.
Plus you’re already getting a good source of healthy fat from the olive oil. Did you know that olive oil contains a good amount of antioxidants and has strong anti-inflammatory properties?? Olive oil is a huge staple in my diet.
As for boneless, do I need to explain myself?? Doesn’t it make it that much more easier to eat… who has time to cut around a bone?? Not to mention when I was younger I wouldn’t eat anything that had a bone. I know… a bit dramatic but I have since gotten over my fear but still prefer boneless.
Shall we get cooking??
Pat dry chicken thighs and place into a baking dish or a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides.
Next mix the oregano, chopped garlic and onions into the olive oil and lemon juice in a separate bowl.
Add the lemon onion concoction in with the chicken and mix.
Make sure the chicken is fully coated and placed in a single layer.
Scatter the garlic cloves and place lemon slices over the chicken. Season with a little more salt and pepper.
I had to transfer to a rimmed baking sheet as the baking dish that I had was too small.
Bake at 400 degrees for 35-45 minutes.
If the skin is not a deep golden brown and crispy, broil for a few minutes to crisp and brown the top.
Serve with cauliflower rice and a side green salad.
And don’t forget to add a spoonful of the crispy onion/lemon bits. That’s the best part.
Zesty Lemon Chicken
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thigh
- 1/2 cup extra virgin oil
- juice of 2 large lemons plus 8-10 slices of lemon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 8–10 clove garlic, whole
- 3 tbsp oregano
- salt and pepper
- Pat dry chicken thighs and place into a baking dish or a rimmed baking sheet.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a separate bowl mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, onions and garlic.
- Add the lemon onion mixture to the chicken and coat evenly.
- Place chicken in a single layer and scatter the garlic cloves and lemon slices over the chicken.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until juices run clear (internal temperature of 170°F for thighs). If the skin is not a deep golden brown and crispy, broil chicken for a few minutes to crisp and brown the top.
- Serve with cauliflower rice and a side green salad. And don’t forget to add a spoonful of the crispy onion/lemon mixture.