Even though some of the hottest days are approaching I still love a good bowl of chili at any time of the year. I made this pot of chili the other night and it did not disappoint.
The star ingredients include cannelloni beans, green chili’s and ground turkey, rounded out with cumin, oregano and thyme. It’s light and satisfying plus the texture is spot on. Half of the beans are puréed to give the chili a silky smooth consistency along with whole beans to add texture. See recipe below.Print
White Bean Turkey Chili
Perfect bow of chili for any time of the year. Star ingredients are cannelloni beans, ground turkey, green chilis and rounded out with oregano, thyme and cumin.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop & Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 4.5 ounce can diced green chilies
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 3 sprig of thyme
- 1.5 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (to your taste)
- 2 15oz cannelloni beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 cup broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
Toppings of Choice
- shredded cheese
- Add olive oil to a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic, cook until soft, about 5 minute.
- Add ground turkey, breaking it up until white and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add diced green chilies, salt, cumin, oregano, chili powder, red pepper flakes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Puree 1 can of beans in the blender with 1 cup of the broth. Add to the pot with the remaining beans, broth and bring to a boil.
- Drop in sprigs of thyme, cover and reduce to a simmer, about 30 minutes mixing occasionally, until thickened and the flavors are well combined.
- Stir in sour cream or plain yogurt. Adjust seasoning and salt to taste.
- Serve with toppings of choice.