If you love fall and all things pumpkin, then you are going to love this creamy and delicious pumpkin spice overnight oats and chia recipe. It’s simple to make with just a few ingredients and can be your go-to breakfast for the week, or better yet, have it as a snack or dessert. Not only is this a healthy breakfast, but it’s also Mediterranean diet-friendly packed with healthy fats, fiber, protein, and naturally sweetened.
Pumkpin Health Benefits
Pumpkin is full of health benefits and is a nutritious food to be consumed. Here are a few reasons why you should include pumpkin in your diet.
- Excellent source of Vitamin A in the form of beta-caratene, Vitamin C and potassium. Beta carotene gives pumpkin its orange color and has benefits like maintaining skin health and appearance.
- Nutrient dense abd low in calories.
- Naturally sweet with a low glycemix index.
- High in fiber with about 7 grams per cup.
You can read more here and learn the nine impressive health benefits of pumpkin.
Ingredients in Pumpkin Spice Overnight Oats and Chia
Here is what you will need to make this healthy fall breakfast:
Chia Seeds: I add chia seeds to just about everything for their healthy fats and are high in fiber plus they thicken up any recipe.
Rolled Oats: Gluten-free rolled oats are used. I would suggest not to use steel-cut oats unless you like a chewy texture.
Pumpkin Puree: Make sure to get pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie mix in a can. The pumpkin mix is pre-sweetened with sugar and spices. It’s best to control the amount of sweetener.
Pumpkin Spice: I use the one from Trader Joe’s. You can also make your own by mixing together cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and ginger.
Milk: Any milk or non-dairy plant-based milk will do for this recipe. I used cashew milk for its nice creamy texture and a good amount of healthy fats and protein.
Honey: Adding honey to sweeten it up; maple syrup or monk fruit can also be used.
Toppings: So many options!! Plain greek yogurt, chopped pecans, cinnamon, and a dollop of pumpkin puree.
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Overnight Oats and Chia
- Combine: In a medium-size bowl combine the chia seeds, rolled oats, pumpkin puree, honey, pumpkin pie spice, and milk of choice. Mix well and let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
2. Divide and pour the mixture into two mason jars and cover with a lid. Or you can leave it in the bowl and seal it up with a lid or plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours overnight to set.
3. Add toppings of choice including chopped pecans, greek yogurt, pumpkin puree, and cinnamon. The options are endless.
FAQS About This Recipe
You can store up to 4 days in the fridge in an air-tight container whether that be a bowl or several mason jars. You can double the recipe and make a large batch on Sunday night to have breakfast ready for the week.
Naturally sweetened with honey and can be swapped with maple syrup, date syrup, or monk fruit.
Cashew milk was used and any plant-based milk will do along with dairy milk.
Add a scoop of vanilla protein powder to boost the protein content.
Yes, typically overnight oats and chia are served cold but you can warm up in the microwave for 45 seconds to reduce the chill.