Here is a favorite healthy meatball recipe without breadcrumbs and all the taste! Simple to make with a few ingredients including ground turkey, spices, parmesan cheese, and a flax egg (for added fiber) instead of an egg. It’s quickly pan-fried for a crispy crust and finished off in the oven for a moist and juicy center.
- 1 lb organic ground turkey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg or flax egg
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 24oz. jar marinara sauce
- Toppings: parm cheese and basil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit or 180 celsius.
- Prep: In a medium-size bowl add ground turkey, garlic, cumin, Italian seasoning, onion powder, flax egg, parm cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Toss and blend the mixture with hands or a wooden spoon until evenly combined. Divide mixture into 16 parts and roll into 1″ meatballs.
- Cook: Heat a large skillet over medium heat with oil. Brown meatballs in two batches for 2-3 minutes to brown.
- Add Sauce: Remove the pan from heat, add the first batch back to the pan, and pour marinara sauce of choice over the meatballs. Spread sauce to evenly distribute around the meatballs.
- Bake: Place pan with meatballs and sauce into the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Garnish: Top off the meatballs with parmesan cheese and some fresh basil or parsley.
- Serve over your choice of pasta, rice, or even zucchini noodles to keep it low carb.
How to Make a Flax Egg: Mix 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds with 3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Make sure not to over-cook the meatballs past 165 degrees or they can dry out and become dense.
- Beef, pork, chicken, or veal could also be used in this recipe.
- Make an even size meatball to bake evenly.
- This recipe can make 16 small meatballs or 8 large.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop & Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4 meatballs
Keywords: Meatball Recipe Without Breadcrumbs