Here is a favorite healthy meatball recipe without breadcrumbs and all the taste! Simple to make with a few ingredients that include ground turkey, spices, parmesan cheese, and a flax egg (for added fiber) instead of an egg. It’s quickly pan-fried for a crispy crust and finished off in the oven for a moist and juicy center.
This favorite meatball recipe without breadcrumbs is always in our monthly dinner rotation. The prep takes a few minutes to pull together and less than 20 minutes to making it a quick and easy meal during the week.
Why This Meatball Recipe Without Breadcrumbs Works
- Parmesan Cheese: provides moisture, flavor and binds the meatballs together.
- Flax Egg: used to bind the meatball, hold its shape and provide moisture. My other main reason to use a ground flax egg is to boost the fiber content in the dish and the omega-3 fatty acids. Check out the top 10 health benefits of flax seeds.
Pan-fry or Bake?
I get this question all the time and frankly, I prefer to do both and start with a quick pan-fry to form the crust on the outside which is my favorite part. Then finishing it off in the oven with your choice of marinara sauce. The result is a moist, juicy, and flavorful meatball.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Quality ingredients for the best results. Choose organic when possible especially for the ground turkey. This will result in free of added hormones and steroids.
- Lean Ground Turkey
- Italian Seasoning
- Onion Powder
- Salt & Pepper
- Flax Egg: see below how to make flax egg.
- Parmesan Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Marinara sauce
How to Make a Flax Egg
Mix 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds with 3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
How to Make This Meatball Recipe
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a medium-size bowl add ground turkey, garlic, cumin, Italian seasoning, onion powder, flax egg, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Toss and blend the mixture with hands or a wooden spoon until evenly combined.
Divide mixture into 16 parts and roll into 1″ meatballs. You can also use an ice cream scoop to cut down on time.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat with oil. Brown the meatballs in two batches for about 3 minutes. Place the first batch to the side and brown the second batch
Remove from heat, add the first batch back to the pan, and pour marinara sauce of choice over the meatballs. Spread sauce to evenly distribute around the meatballs.
Place pan with meatballs and sauce into the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven. Top off the meatballs with parmesan cheese and some fresh basil or parsley before serving.
Serve over your choice of pasta, rice, or even zucchini noodles to keep it low carb.
ADDITIONAL INFO. FAQS ABOUT THIS RECIPE
- Make sure not to over-cook the meatballs past 165 degrees or they can dry out and become dense.
- Beef, pork, chicken, or veal could also be used in this recipe.
- Make an even size meatball to bake evenly.
- The recipe makes 16 small meatballs that could serve a party of 4.