Back to basics with quinoa and learn how to cook your favorite healthy food. Quinoa is one of the most versatile gluten-free seeds, easy to prepare, is a great carb side dish, or even as the main protein, and you can add to any meal.
- 1 cup dry quinoa (white, black, red, or tri-color)
- 2 cups water or broth
- Rinse quinoa under cold running water in a mesh colander for about 30 seconds and drain well. Doing this will remove the bitterness caused by the naturally occurring saponins that are produced to keep the insects away.
- Add the rinsed quinoa and water or broth in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat to low to simmer, and cover with lid.
- Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, and let sit for another 5 minutes.
- You can store cooked quinoa in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to one week or stored in the freezer for up to 8 months.
- Serve as a side dish- drizzle some olive oil on top with fresh herbs like basil and parsley, crumbled goat or feta cheese, and a dash of salt and pepper. You can even add some chopped nuts, minced garlic and a splash of lemon juice.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: how to cook quinoa