Here’s a simple classic recipe for bone-in beef short ribs. Pan seared first then slow cooked to get that comfort food flavor.
You can serve with mash potatoes, side salad and steamed veggies of choice. The options are endless but keep it simple as the beef short ribs are the star of the show.Print
Easy Slow Cooked Beef Short Rib
- 4 lbs short ribs
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- fresh rosemary
- 2 cups whole mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 275F.
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper on both sides
- In a large pot or Dutch oven heat 1 tbsp olive oil on medium high heat.
- Sear short ribs on all sides to lock in juices, about 6 minutes total.
- Remove short ribs from pot, turn down heat to medium and skim the top layer of fat from the oil with a spoon and discard.
- In same pot add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add onions and cook for 5 minutes, until soft.
- Stir in tomato paste, blend well to evenly coat onions.
- Add red wine reduce down for 2 minutes, will start to bubble.
- Add short ribs, beef broth and rosemary.
- Cover with lid, place in oven and slow cook for 3.5 hours.
- Add mushrooms when 45 minutes is remaining.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes.
To Make Sauce:
- In a medium sauce pan on medium heat add about 1.5 cups of the red wine/onion broth, add 1-2 tsp coconut sugar (or sugar) and reduce down, stirring constantly as it thickens.
- Use this sauce to pour over ribs after you have plated.