Sharing my super easy recipe for sesame chicken. It’s been a weekly staple for dinner and does not disappoint.
I used potato starch to coat the chicken and also in the sauce to thicken it up a bit but feel free to use cornstarch instead. I prefer potato starch for its resistant starch health benefits, see below.
- Resistant starch benefits
- acts similar to fiber
- lowers blood sugar levels
- improves insulin sensitivity.
- decreases cholesterol levels.
The sesame chicken is paired with sauteed broccoli and a combination mixture of cauliflower rice and quinoa. I love the texture of the two combined and you’re getting complex carbohydrates and fiber plus extra protein from the quinoa. Lots of healthy benefits. You can also serve with rice instead if that’s more your style. Kelp noodles would also be a great alternative too.
Easy Sesame Chicken
- Total Time: 25 minutes
Sesame chicken served with broccoli and a combo mixture of cauliflower rice and quinoa. Quick and easy to make for a weeknight staple.
- 2 tbsp potato starch or corn starch
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 1lb chicken breast cubed
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos or soy sauce1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp monk fruit
- sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp potato starch
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
- Pinch of salt only if you are using coconut aminos. (Soy sauce has plenty of sodium)
- 1 head of broccoli chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1.5 cup cooked cauliflower rice
- 1.5 cup cooked quinoa
- Toppings: green onions and sesame seeds optional
- Prepare the sauce by adding all the ingredients into a bowl and set to the side.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg, 2 tbsp of potato starch, salt & pepper.
- Chop chicken breast into one inch cubes and add to egg mixture.
- Mix well to evenly coat.In a medium skillet heat oil over medium heat.
- Add the chicken with egg mixture and spread evenly over the pan.
- Cook chicken until golden brown with out touching it.
- Flip the chicken and break up the pieces.
- Continue to cook the chicken until golden brown.
- Try not to stir the chicken too much so the egg coating stays intact with the chicken.
- Once chicken is brown on all sides add sauce mixture.
- Gently toss the chicken to coat in the sauce. Let simmer for a minute or two then gently stir the chicken in the sauce until it has slightly thickened and onions are tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Saute the chopped broccoli in 1 tbsp of sesame oil on med heat for 8 minutes or until tender.
- Add salt/pepper to your liking.
- Serve chicken and broccoli over the combo mixture of cauliflower rice and quinoa.
- Top with sesame seeds & green onions.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
Keywords: sesame chicken