Introducing one of my top signature desserts, a buttery cocoa shortbread crust layered with a silky date caramel filling and a decadent chocolate tahini ganache finished off with a tahini swirl in this chocolate tart!
For the Crust:
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp salted butter, cold
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp water, cold
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Filling:
- 12 dates, pitted and soaked in water
- 1/4 cup full fat milk of choice (I used cashew milk)
For the Ganache:
- 3/4 cup full fat milk of choice (I used cashew milk)
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 8–10oz chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup tahini + 3 tbsp for topping
Make tart crust:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a 9” tart pan with a removable bottom (or a 9″ pie dish).
- In a small bowl mix together flour, cocoa powder and salt. Set to the side.
- In a medium bowl soften cold butter with a wooden spoon then add sugar and cream together.
- Whisk egg, vanilla and water together then add to butter sugar mixture and continue to whisk, blend well but do not let the butter melt.
- Add flour mixture to the butter mixture and blend until no traces of wet or dry ingredients. Try not to work too much to avoid melting butter.
- Form into a round shape, wrap with film and chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and place on a floured surface.
- Flatten out and roll dough to fit a nine inch pastry pan or pie dish.
- Transfer pastry dough over pastry pan and press slightly with thumb along pan and rim to make sure the dough is in place.
- Bake crust for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
Make date filling:
- Make sure to soak dates in a bowl of water for about 30 minutes before you puree. This will soften them up making the dates so much easier to blend.
- Add dates and milk of choice to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth scraping down the sides as needed.
- Transfer to a small bowl and set in the refrigerator until cooked tart shell is ready.
- Spread date caramel filing into the cooked tart shell and smooth evenly.
- Set in fridge while you prep the chocolate ganache.
Make the ganache:
- Heat milk and sugar on medium low heat and bring to a simmer.
- Pour over chocolate chips and 1/4 cup tahini in a separate bowl, whisking until chocolate has melted and mixture is fully blended and slightly thickened.
- Pour chocolate ganache over the date caramel filling and crust, spread evenly.
- Drizzle 3 tablespoons of tahini over the chocolate tart. (You can place the tahini in the microwave for about 5 to 10 seconds to make it easier to drizzle).
- Gently use the edge of a knife to pull the tahini in different directions to create swirls on top of the chocolate mixture.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours to set or preferably overnight.
Store in refrigerator for up to 5 days covered.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 25