Yummm is all I can say. These cookies are super chocolatey with a thick chewy texture from the oats and a hint of spice from the cardamom. It’s a party in your mouth!!
This is a perfect treat to curb the sugar cravings in the afternoon. These cookies are gluten free and refined sugar free and I like to think that chocolate is medicine and can be therapeutic. It’s called balance, honoring your cravings and not to restrict yourself. You’ll have a better relationship with the food you eat with this mindset approach.
Oh yeah, want the cookie recipe?!?! Deets below.
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cardamom Cookies
These chocolatey oatmeal cookies are tasty with a touch of grounding spice from the cardamom. Simple ingredients and this recipe is gluten free, refined sugar free and can be dairy free depending on the chocolate chips you use.
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (regular sugar will work too)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 egg (or 2 tbsp olive oil)
- 2 tbsp nut butter (I used almond butter but peanut or sunflower is a good option)
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 cup oats
- 3/4 cup oat flour (I used my coffee grinder to make flour, blender will work too)
- 2 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used Lily’s dark chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix coconut sugar, honey, eggs, nut butter and almond milk until blended well and creamy.
- Stir in oats, oat flour, cardamom, baking powder, salt and mix until well blended. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Use a spoon or ice cream scoop and roll dough into balls. Place on cookie sheet evenly spaced apart. Press down with palm to flatten. (I have a small bowl of water nearby to keep hands wet so the dough doesn’t stick.) Batter will make about 12 cookies.
- Bake cookies for about 13 to 15 minutes until almost golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool for about 15-20 minutes. They will continue to cook and firm up at this time.