Sharing a favorite soup recipe that is easy to make with fresh ingredients. The base is lightened up with chicken broth, pureed cauliflower and broccoli rather than heavy cream so definitely a figure friendly soup. The hearty flavor comes from the cheddar and parmesan cheese and balanced out with the tenderness of the bite sized broccoli for flavor and texture.Print
Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Soup
This healthy broccoli cauliflower soup is perfect for lunch as a main dish or served at dinner as a side. It’s warm and hearty and full of flavor.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups cauliflower florets, chopped
- 4 cups broccoli, chopped
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 scoops unflavored protein powder (optional)
- shredded cheese
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in a large pot.
- Add garlic and onions, sauté until onions are translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, one cup broccoli, broth, thyme, red chili pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until cauliflower/broccoli are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Transfer to a blender to puree or use an immersion blender.
- Add unflavored protein powder at this time and continue to blend.
- Transfer back to pot on medium/low heat.
- Add the cheddar and parmesan cheese and stir well to combine.
- Add in the three cups of remaining broccoli and cook for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Top with shredded cheese, pepper, scallions and bacon.
Serve with salad and crunchy sourdough bread.