Sharing a favorite sweet-savory cheddar apple thyme scone recipe that can be served for breakfast, brunch, snack time or anything in between. They are rich in taste with a crumbly outside, moist flakey center and slightly sweetened.
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cup apple, shredded
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup (6 tbsp) salted butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (I used cashew milk) + 2 tbsp
- Grate cheddar cheese and set to the side.
- Remove skin from apple, grate apple and squeeze out some of the juice. Place to the side.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and thyme.
- Add cold butter to the dry ingredients and combine with a pastry cutter or two knives until the mixture forms crumbs.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together milk and eggs.
- Add wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently mix until it comes together trying not to over work the dough. It’s okay to have lumps in the dough.
- Next gently fold in the shredded apple and cheddar cheese.
- Place dough onto a floured surface and shape into an 8 inch disk; if the dough is sticky dust some flour on top. If the dough is dry, add 1 tablespoon of milk.
- Chill the dough in the freezer for 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut into 8 wedges with a knife and transfer wedges to baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Brush milk of choice on top of wedges.
- Bake 23-25 minutes until golden brown, rotate halfway.
- Remove from oven and cool on rack for 10 minutes.
- Serve with butter and jam.
- Store in an airtight container for up to five days in the refrigerator.
- You can make ahead a time and store in the freezer. Will need to thaw out before baking or bake for a few extra minutes if you bake from frozen.
- Prep Time: 40
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cheddar apple thyme scones