This is one flavorful gumbo soup that you do not want to miss, and not your traditional version with a roux as the thickening agent but still a rich, deep and hearty earth tone flavor that is most desired.
A perfect meal for the winter months.
Protein packed full of andouille sausage, shrimp, crab, and chicken, all combined together with old bay seasoning, fire roasted tomatoes, garlic and a little heat from the diced jalapeño. The star ingredient that brings the flavors together is the gumbo file´ that is added at the end.
Gumbo file´, also called file´, is the powder from the leaves of a sassafras tree.
File´ is a well used ingredient in cajun cuisine especially in gumbo.
The flavor of file´ is earthy and savory similar to thyme.
File´ is used as a seasoning or a thickening agent and in this dish it will be used as a seasoning.
In most traditional gumbo recipes roux is the primary thickener where in the past it was gumbo file´ or okra. Roux is made out of flour and some type of fat such as oil, but don’t worry I’m not using a roux. This is the healthy version without the additional calories, the thickener used in this dish will come from the okra. As okra cooks down it provides a nice thickening silky texture to the soup.
Can be served with rice or on it’s own, it’s that satisfying.Print
My Healthy Gumbo Recipe
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
This gumbo dish is action packed with andouille sausage, chicken, shrimp and crab. Gumbo file is added at the end to bring in the flavors and okra is used as the thickening agent. A hearty meal with earth tone flavors perfect for the winter months.
- 3–4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium jalapeno, diced and seeds removed
- 2–3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 can 28oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cooked andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 16oz bag frozen okra
- 3 tbsp old bay seasoning
- 1/2 lb shrimp
- 1/2 cup crab meat
- 1 tbsp gumbo file for taste
- salt and pepper
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of chicken.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a dutch oven or stock pot on medium heat.
- Add chicken breast and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until brown on both sides flipping over half way.
- Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes. Cut into cubes and set to the side.
- In the same pot, heat two tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat and add the onions and bell pepper Sprinkle a dash of salt and pepper.
- Saute for 10 minutes or until onions are translucent and tender. If the mixture starts to dry out add another tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the garlic and jalapeño, cook for about 2 minutes. Lower heat to low medium to not burn the garlic.
- Bring back to medium heat, add 2 cups of broth, canned tomatoes with juice, chicken, andouille sausage, okra and old bay seasoning. Stir and combine all the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes. Check on it half way and if it seems to be too thick and not much liquid add another cup of broth.
- Add shrimp, crab and gumbo file. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper of tasting. Serve with rice or on it’s own with a side salad.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
[amazon_link asins=’B01ASVQ4EG,B078NGD65Y,B00771FULY,B00DV93X74′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’us-1′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’de290fc9-19e8-11e8-a608-d1e816a71eb5′]