Kicking off my Monday morning with my latest obsession→ chocolatey quinoa breakfast bowl with cacao, maca and cardamom plus a scoop of collagen powder and MCT oil.
Now I still have a love for my collagen smoothie juice blends but lately I’ve been switching it up between the two. This is definitely a warm hearty breakfast with all the nutritional goodness and keeps you satisfied into the afternoon.
The creamy nutty rich flavor from the quinoa and the chocolatey hints from the cacao combines oh so well with the earthy maca and slightly sweet spice with hints of floral and citrus from the cardamom plus naturally sweetened with a splash of vanilla and honey. I also add a scoop of unflavored collagen powder and MCT oil for added protein and healthy fats!! This is optional and pea protein powder is also a good choice if you’re vegan.
Lets chat a few benefits in this breakfast bowl.
- Quinoa → full of fiber, contains all the nine essential amino acids making it a complete protein, high in vitamin b, iron, magnesium and tons of antioxidants.
- Cacao→ full of fiber, antioxidants and iron. Read here for more info.
- Maca→ this is one hell of a Superfood that is high in antioxidants and nutrients, balances hormones, enhances energy, improves mood, memory and the libido to name a few.
- Cardamon→ improves blood circulation, good for digestion issues and a natural breath freshener.
- Collagen Powder→ good source of protein and you can read more about collagen right here.
- MCT Oil→ full of healthy fats, easily digested, improves mood, helps with weight management and keeps hormones in balance just to name a few.
To make the Quinoa breakfast bowl
Rinse the quinoa under cold water to remove the saponin, the natural coating which can taste bitter or soapy.
On medium heat add quinoa to a small saucepan and toast for 2 minutes. Add almond milk (or any nut milk) and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove lid and add the 1/2 cup of almond milk, maca, cacao powder, cardamom, vanilla and honey. Stir and let cook for two more minutes so the flavors combine.
Remove from heat and stir in the MCT oil and unflavored collagen powder. Again, this is optional for some added nutrients.
Transfer to a serving bowl and add your toppings.
Toppings are endless ⇒
cacao nibs, berries, flax seeds, nut butter, shredded coconut or a dash of almond milk
Recipe serves two but if you double the recipe you’ll have a few extra servings for later in the week. Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Warm up in a saucepan with a splash of almond milk.
Chocolatey Quinoa Breakfast Bowl with Maca & Cardamom
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 tbsp cacao
- 1 tsp maca
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp MCT oil optional
- 1 scoop of unflavored collagen powder or protein powder optional
- cacao nibs
- almond butter
- flax seeds
- shredded coconut
- splash of almond milk
- Rinse quinoa in a mesh strainer for 1 minute.
- In a small saucepan on medium heat add quinoa and slightly toast for 2 minute to dry up the water.
- Add 1 cup of almond milk to the saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid and stir in 1/2 cup almond milk, cacao powder, maca, cardamom, honey and vanilla.
- Cook for 2 more minutes for flavors to combine. Feel free to play around with the flavor with more cacao, almond milk or honey.
- Remove from heat, stir in collagen powder and MCT oil. This is an optional step but will provide more protein and some healthy fats to the mixture.
- Transfer into a serving bowl and add toppings.